My friend Lauren introduced me to this strap design.
I will add a diagram soon as well as a photo, but in the mean time, here is the video:
There are some beautiful projects out there where people have created a mottled effect - some with shaving cream (see Marbling) and with many other techniques.
This inspired me to try too and it came out so nice that I just had to share.
My first attempt was to dab at the leather with a piece from an old shirt:
This was the look I was after!
Then came the video:And this is the pieces after the fun was done:
The first step is the design the weave - well described in the video.
Transfer it to the leather, cut line with the swivel knife and bevel the ribbons as each of them dip below the others.
The leather is a milled Sienna side from Tandy - look at the beautiful texture!
Here is the video:
And this is after blue purple on the border and covering everything with brow Hi-Lite stain:
Classic Saddlestitch is done with the project clamped in a stitching pony or stitching clam, and the awl and one needle held in one hand and the other needle in the other hand.If you do not have something to clamp the work in and your project is small enough, you can achieve the same stitch freehand.
The video shows how.
In the video I mention finger gloves / finger cots. Here is what the packaging looks like. I cannot remember where I bought them.
I did a test to show some of the options with resist and antiquing.
This photo shows my preparation for the process:
Then I applied Neatlac in specific spots as I will soon explain. Those areas stayed dark, even after the Neatlac dried, and I realized I would have to do the same on another piece of leather that was tanned differently. You can see the difference in the effect of the Neatlac. I did the same on both pieces, so when I refer to "B", it is the second hat from the left in the top row, on both pieces of leather.
A: No resist, no dye.
B: Both hat and background resisted.
C: Just the hat is resisted with the Neatlac.
D: Only the background is resisted.
E: No resist, no dye.
F: Hat painted with white acrylic paint
G: Background dyed with Java brown water-based dye.
H: Background dyed and hat resisted.
After this, the Hi-Lite stain was applied:
Here is the result:
And here is a quick tip:
In this case however, I wanted to get the Hi-lite stain off as much as possible and also make sure that the color was on as even as possible. To do this, I applied the Neatlac with a sponge as you can see in this video: